Student Enrollment

Depending upon the schedule of the high school (trimester, semester, yearlong), the Office of Dual Credit and Early College will send a representative to talk to your students about their application, enrollment, associated fees and what earning college credit means and about the college or career pathway that is relevant to their course. 

Student course selection

Some courses have prerequisites that students must meet before enrollment.  In some schools, students can accumulate quite a bit of college credit before they graduate from high school.  With this in mind, students should be counseled about college and career pathways.  Academic Program Plans (APP’s) should be discussed with students so that they understand what courses they should take and how they will go towards their chosen degrees. 

Enrollment process

High school students must fill out the dual credit application that is handed out by their instructor or by the college.  At the time that the application is collected, students will be given information about what to do once they receive their letter of acceptance from JCTC.  Dual credit classes follow the normal academic calendar of the college. With that being said, a student who enrolls for a dual credit course is treated, for the most part, as if they were a regular college student.  The withdraw process is the same as regular college students with an instructor’s and the student’s signature/permission being required. 

Grading policy

Dual credit students can receive the following marks for their classes: A, B, C, D, E or a W.  No incompletes can be assigned by dual credit adjunct instructors.  Syllabi should be handed out to students during the first day of class and instructors outline to students what the course expectations are as well as the grading assignments and criteria.  Helping the student to understand the demands of a college course, as well as the pace and expectations, will help them to be more successful.  Often, students do not understand that they must self-monitor their work in the course and set up a schedule for studying and for due dates/tests.

In a dual credit course, the grade that the student receives is transcripted by the college and by the high school both.  If a student is taking a course for articulated credit, they will present the high school transcript at the time that they wish to receive credit for that course.

College Readiness Scores


 English/Writing  18  74   
 Reading  20  85  
 College Algebra  22  50  CA 14*
 College Algebra w/Lab  19-21  36-49  MP 22 w/CA 7-13
 College Ready Math      22
 * 14 or higher on College Algebra placement test       
 **MP=Math Placement, CA=College Algebra      

College benchmark scores are assessed in four different ways: ACT/COMPASS/KYOTE/SAT.

  • The ACT® college readiness assessment is a curriculum- and standards-based educational and career planning tool that assesses students' academic readiness for college ( 
  • ACT Compass is a computer-adaptive college placement test that lets educators evaluate incoming students in the subject of Reading, Writing, Math and English.  This is a diagnostic test that allows schools to place students in appropriate courses and connect the students to the resources they need in order to be academically successful.
  • KYOTE is the acronym for the Kentucky Online Testing Program and tests students in the subjects of English (Writing), Reading and Mathematics.
  • SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test) tests are typically given to students during the spring of their junior year and the fall of their senior year and test in the same subjects as these other tests as well as added subjects such as foreign languages.

What is a non-degree seeking student?

Students who have not yet matriculated from high school, but are enrolled in dual credit courses, are considered “non-degree seeking” students.  Once they enroll in a college after graduating with a secondary degree, their status changes to “degree seeking.”  Because of this special status, when a student applies for colleges with the intention of attending after they graduate from high school, they should declare themselves as “first time freshman” and not as a transfer student.  As well, students should fill out any part of the application that prompts them to declare dual credit or college credit obtained while still a high school student.

Caveat: some post-secondary institutions require that students declare any dual credit courses at the point of enrollment or within the first 6 months of enrollment at that institution.