ConceptKCTCS/KCTCSConcept Financial Aid FAQs | JCTC

Financial Aid FAQs

Can I pay my bill/tuition Online?

Do you take MasterCard, Visa or Discover?

  • Yes, MasterCard, Visa and Discover are accepted.
  • Credit card payments may be made in person or on-line by logging into your student records. 
  • If you are paying by check or money order please mail them to:

Attn: Cashier Office
109 E. Broadway
Louisville, KY 40202.

  • Important: 
    • Be sure to include your student ID number on your check/money order.
    • Cash payments must be made in person.

How can I check the status of my financial aid/third party payment?

  • Go to
    • This is a secure web site (the “s” after “http” indicates this)
  • Select “STUDENT ADMIN PRD” under the KCTCS logo in the upper left corner
  • Enter your User ID and Password.
    • Your User ID is the same as your KCTCS e-mail username (example: jsmith0004) and your KCTCS e-mail password
  • Select “Self Service
  • Select “Student Center
  • Click on TAB labeled “Finances
  • Under the Finances tab, you may click on the button labeled “View Student Account

For assistance, please call 855-246-5282 (855-2GO-JCTC) or visit our Student Service Center online.

How to access grades, schedules, account, payment, and financial aid information.

  • Go to  
    • This is a secure website (the “s” after “http” indicates this)
  • Enter your User ID and Password then click “Sign In”. 
    • Your User ID is the same as your KCTCS e-mail username (example: jsmith0004) and your KCTCS e-mail password.
    • If you have not activated your student email account you may do so at
  • You will need to know your student ID number. Select “Self Service”. 
  • You will see shortcuts from here to the data available online - once you are familiar with the site you can access other pages directly from here)
  • From this webpage, you can view:  Finances: Your account summary/balance and financial aid, Course Catalog and Schedule: Course descriptions and schedules, and Academics: Your schedule, grades, and advisor’s name.

For assistance, please call 855-246-5282 (855-2GO-JCTC) or visit our Student Service Center online.

I’m enrolled but I have decided not to attend, what do I need to do?

  • You must officially withdraw by the dates listed in the academic calendar.
  • Once you enroll you become financially obligated, even if you never attend a class.
  • Failure to officially withdraw according to the academic calendar will result in a financial debt.

My name is not listed correctly in Email/Student Self Service. How do I get it corrected?

  • Contact student services and ask them to update both your primary and preferred name.
  • If the last name has been changed a new username will be generated.
  • You will need to go through the new account activation process in order to get the new username and reset the password.

What is the payment deadline for the upcoming semester?

Where is the Financial Aid office located?

  • Downtown Campus:
    • 200 W. Broadway, Jefferson Educational Center (corner of Second and Broadway) on the fourth floor
  • Southwest Campus:
    • 1000 Community College Drive, Administration Building, Suite 155
  • Office Hours :
    • The JCTC Student Financial Aid Office is open to students and the general public Monday-Thursday 8:00am to 5:00pm and Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm
    • Contact our office about extended hours during other peak periods.
  • Counseling Hours:
    • Counseling is available on a walk-in basis from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday.
    • Counselors ARE available to see students on Friday’s.
    • Counseling is also available by appointment during non-peak times.
    • No counseling is available on Fridays as staff members are dedicated to training, application processing and inquiry follow-up.
    • Contact our office for special appointment times due to work schedule conflict.

For assistance, please call 855-246-5282 (855-2GO-JCTC) or visit our Student Service Center online.

What are the general requirements to receive financial aid?

The general eligibility requirements are that you MUST:

  • demonstrate financial need (for most programs)
  • sign statements on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) stating that:
    • you are not in default on a federal student loan and do not owe money on  federal student grant and
    • you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes
    • be accepted for enrollment as a regular student in an eligible degree, diploma, or certificate program
    • have a valid Social Security number (with the exception of student from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau
    • meet citizenship requirements
    • not have been convicted of drug distribution or drug possession
    • have a high school diploma or GED
    • be registered with the Selective Service (if a male between the ages of 18 and 25)
    • have resolved all issues or problems identified on the Student Aid Report
    • not have already earned the equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree to be considered for the Pell Grant
    • complete verification process, if selected
    • not also be enrolled in elementary or secondary school
    • be enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours) for most programs, including the Direct Loan Program
    • establish eligibility by attending class and participating in academic activity
    • meet satisfactory academic progress requirements

After I send in my free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), how long does it take for me to know if I am eligible?

  • Both the federal government and the college must find you eligible.
  • Once your application data is received (electronically or otherwise) in the Financial Aid Office it will be reviewed to see if additional documentation is required to complete questions the federal government may have about your information.
  • Once your financial aid file is complete, you will receive notification by mail and/or email concerning your financial aid status.
  • Academic year award letters are generally sent out beginning the first week of June.

How many hours must I be enrolled in to receive financial aid?

  • Usually 6 credit hours.
  • In a few cases students may receive Pell Grants with less than 6 credit hours.
  • To be considered for student loans, KEES, or CAP Grant, you must be enrolled in 6 credit hours.

If I am taking all developmental courses, am I eligible for financial aid?

  • Yes, up to a total of 30 developmental credit hours.
  • You must then enroll in an eligible program to continue financial aid eligibility.

Do I have to pay for my classes when I register?

  • Yes, unless you have anticipated aid that covers your charges.
  • To ensure that your financial aid is approved in time to meet payment deadlines, you must apply with the Federal Student Aid Central Processing Center [list our school code (006961) for all campus locations] by June 15th for Fall semester, October 15th for Spring semester, and April 15th for Summer semester.
  • Submission of your financial aid application and requested documentation after these priority dates may result in you having to pay for your classes out of pocket until your eligibility can be assessed.

Can I use my financial aid to get my books?

  • Please be prepared to pay for books and supplies using resources other than financial aid.
  • However, because aid disbursement cannot occur until approximately 3-4 weeks into the semester, the Barnes & Nobles campus bookstore locations will allow students to purchase books and supplies on credit, if you have enough “anticipated” aid for the semester.
  • This is for a limited time.
  • Check with Financial Aid office for the current dates of the Bookstore Credits.
  • You must have more anticipated aid than the cost of tuition and fees for the term.
  • You must sign a Financial Aid Release authorizing JCTC to release the amount of anticipated aid to Barnes & Nobles. [One time only- can be rescinded]
  • If you already have a release on file, you do not have to complete another one.
  • The amount you charge at the bookstore is placed on your student account as a bookstore charge.
  • Please note: Bookstore charging schedule is subject to change as dictated by the KCTCS Systems Office 

If I drop a class, will that affect my financial aid?

  • It often does. Financial aid disbursements are reviewed at FA Census dates and after Satisfactory Academic Progress evaluation.
  • For more information, see the Consumer Information guide, “Standards of Academic Progress” section – available on the web or get a copy from the Financial Aid Office.
  • These standards tell you what is expected academically to continue on financial aid.
  • If you are appealing your satisfactory academic progress, while in appeal status, you must be prepared to pay your tuition and books.
  • Appeal deadlines : Summer = June 15, Fall = September 15, and Spring = January 15.
  • PLEASE NOTE: If you completely withdraw or receive all failing grades, a portion of your aid for that term must be repaid before you can receive further financial aid funds.
  • To earn 100% of your financial aid, you must be enrolled through approximately 60% the term.  
  • These dates will vary if you are enrolled in multiple sessions during the semester

If I register for classes but then never attend, can I receive my financial aid?

  • No.
  • Students must participate in academic activity in order to qualify for receipt of financial aid funds.
  • If you are reported by one or more of your professors as a “no show”, your financial aid will be re-evaluated and held until documented academic activity in classes is received.
  • If this cannot be documented, your financial aid will be returned and you will be responsible for any tuition expenses incurred for the term in question.

Can you help with part-time employment?

  • Maybe, JCTC participates in the Federal Work Study Program.
  • You must have apply for financial aid and demonstrate unmet need to qualify.
  • You may be eligible for work-study even if you did not receive a Pell Grant.
  • Federal Work Study (FWS) funds are limited.
  • Please check with the Financial Aid office regarding FWS eligibility and/or procedures.

How do I apply for and receive a student loan?

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • For Summer term, the JCTC Summer Financial Aid Application is also required, in addition to the FAFSA.
  • We will assess aid eligibility & send you a Financial Aid Award Notification letter based on your response to questions asked on the application(s).
  • When you receive your award letter, you MUST respond indicating ACCEPT/ REDUCE/ or DECLINE of this loan offer.
  • You must meet all general eligibility criteria to qualify for a student loan.
  • If you are transferring mid-year (for example: Fall at U of L and Spring at JCTC), you must have your FAFSA data sent to JCTC by listing our school code, 006961, in the school choices section.
  • A valid Master Promissory Note must also be signed.

What does it mean if I have been selected for verification?

  • That the federal government wants us (the school) to “verify” that you completed your form correctly.
  • The Financial Aid office must collect additional documentation from you to complete the verification process.
  • Generally during non–peak periods, it takes about 10 working days for us to review and complete the verification process.
  • If we determine that corrections need to be filed, it can take longer.
  • During peak periods (July-August), it will take longer for this process to be completed.
  • Once verification is complete, the Financial Aid office will send you a Financial Aid Award Notification letter.

How do I apply for the CAP grant?

  • The College Access Program (CAP) grant is awarded through the Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority (KHEAA) to qualifying Kentucky residents.
  • Your FAFSA application will automatically place you in the applicant pool for the CAP grant.
  • This grant is awarded first come, first served until the funds are exhausted.
  • With this in mind, please submit your FAFSA by the priority filing date of March 15 will increase your chances of receiving this grant.

What school code should I use for my FAFSA?

  • Jefferson Community and Technical College school code is 006961.
  • This code is for all campus locations.

Will my financial aid automatically transfer to JCTC from the school I attended in the Fall?

  • No. You must first have your FAFSA data sent to JCTC so we can electronically access your file to begin processing for financial aid application.
  • You can do this by calling the CPS Federal Student Aid Processing Center at 1-800-433-3243 or by going online at, and enter the appropriate school code: 006961.
  • To do this by phone, you will need your DRN number (located on your SAR):
  • To do this online, you will need your PIN number.
  • You can apply for a PIN number at

When will I receive my refund/residual check?

  • Kentucky Community & Technical College System has partnered with Higher One, a financial services company focused solely on higher education, to offer faster delivery of refunds/disbursements to students.
  • Higher One will help bring this new method for receiving refunds/disbursements to KCTCS via the KCTCS Debit Card.
    The KCTCS Debit Card is designed to provide increased choice when it comes to receiving your refunds/disbursements, including the “EasyRefundSM” method.
  • Easy Refund is the fastest and easiest way to gain access to your refund/disbursement money—literally the same day KCTCS releases it.
  • Please visit the KCTCS Debit Card to view the most frequently asked questions about the refund/disbursement process.

What is SAP?

  • SAP is an acronym that stands for Satisfactory Academic Progress.
  • In order to continue receiving federal financial aid, you are required to maintain satisfactory academic progress as outlined by school policy.
  • Generally our policy requires that you maintain a 2.00 cumulative grade point average (a C average) and pass 67% of the courses you attempt.
  • Grades coded as W, I, E, F, MP, and AU count as courses attempted but NOT passed.
  • You are also required to complete your educational credential within the maximum time frame as set forth in the SAP standards.
  • This generally equals around 90 credit hours attempted, but can vary depending on the program of study you choose.
  • If you fail to do this, you run the risk of losing your eligibility for aid.
  • Reinstatement procedures can be obtained from the Financial Aid Office or by reviewing the Consumer Information, Satisfactory Academic Progress section on the website.

How long does it take for my student loan to be processed and disbursed?

  • During non-peak periods and providing your financial aid file is complete, we can process your loan acceptance request in approximately 5-7 days.
  • After we complete our process, you will have to sign your Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN).
  • You may complete the MPN at
  • Additionally, you can sign it electronically using the same Department of Education PIN used to sign the FAFSA).
  • If you are a new borrower, you must also complete Entrance Loan Counseling.  This can also be completed at
  • Once your loan is approved by the Department of Education, you will receive a Disclosure Statement that indicates scheduled disbursement dates.
  • These are the tentative dates that the funds are scheduled to be credited to your student account at KCTCS. 
  • If your loan disbursement(s) create a credit balance on your student account, a refund will be automatically generated.
  • Refunds are processed on Wednesday evenings with the actual transaction process taking place on Thursdays through the Higher One Refund process.
  • For additional information regarding refunds, please visit  

If I have doubts about my financial aid or am unsure of anything surrounding my financial aid, what should I do?

  • Contact to the Financial Aid Office to speak with a Financial Aid Assistant or Counselor to assist you with this often complex and confusing process.
  • The JCTC Student Financial Aid Office is open to students and the general public Monday-Thursday 8:00am to 5:00pm and Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm
  • During registration periods, we will hold extended office hours.
  • Information is also available on the JCTC website.
  • For assistance, please call 855-246-5282 (855-2GO-JCTC) or visit our Student Service Center online.

What happens after completing the Financial Aid Application(s)?

  • After submitting the FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR).
  • Review the SAR for accuracy and verify JCTC is listed as one of your school choices.
  • Whether you file your FAFSA by mail or electronically, our office will receive the results.
  • The Financial Aid Office will request any additional information necessary to complete your aid file.
  • It is imperative you submit any requested documentation as soon as possible. 
  • Once your file is complete, our office will review your eligibility for all federal/state student aid programs.
  • Notification of your award status will be completed after you have been awarded aid.
  • A processed FAFSA and all required verification documents, as well as notice of any outside agency assistance or scholarships must be on file in the JCTC Financial Aid office by the semester Processing Deadline Date in order for you to receive anticipated aid by the semester Payment Due Date.
  • Types of financial aid available based on eligibility: Grants, Loans, Employment Opportunities, Scholarships

How do I respond to the Financial Aid Letter Online?

  • You can now respond to your Financial Aid award letter on-line through KCTCS’s system.
  • Go to This is a secure web site (the “s” after “http” indicates this)
  • Select “LOGIN HERE” under the KCTCS logo in the upper left corner
  • Enter your User ID and Password.
  • Your User ID is the same as your KCTCS e-mail username (example: jsmith0004) and your KCTCS e-mail password
  • Select “Self Service”, “Student Center”, “Finances”, then “Accept/Decline Financial Aid
  • Read the Aid Year Description and then select an Aid Year. (2012 for Fall 2011, Spring 2012, Summer 2012)
  • To accept an offered award such as a Loan, you must check Accept and then click Submit.
  • If you want to accept less than what you are offered, you can adjust the amount after you have checked Accept (remember to click Submit after you have made your adjustment).
  • You may also simply hit Accept All or Decline All. If you need to start over prior to clicking Submit, then you can click Clear All.
  • Once you are finished making adjustments, you can click Submit to finalize these changes.
  • To view account activity:
  • Follow the above instructions to get to “Student Center
  • Click on TAB labeled “Finances”.
  • Under the Finances tab, you may click on the button labeled “View Student Account