Student Orientation, Advising and Registration (SOAR) is designed to help new, first time in college students make the transition to Jefferson Community and Technical College. By taking part in orientation, you will learn about the enrollment process, academic resources, support services, counseling, financial aid and much more. Small, interactive sessions are offered during orientation sessions so you can get to know the staff and students that will aid in your success.
Once you have completed the placement test at the campus you plan to attend or confirmed your ACT scores, staff in the Assessment Center will schedule all new, first-time in college students for SOAR, which is mandatory.
Students may reschedule a SOAR appointment by calling the 502-213-2624 or emailing email@example.com.
Please see the list below to successfully prepare yourself for your day of orientation. It is important to carefully read and complete each step.
1. SOAR involves orientation, advising and registration and therefore is a four hour event. Plan on being on campus for the entire session. To register for classes, you must attend your full SOAR session.
2. SOAR is your first JCTC college experience therefore we ask that children do not attend.
3. You may be eligible to receive financial aid while you attend Jefferson. To find out if you are eligible, you must apply for financial aid at www.fafsa.ed.gov. On the FAFSA, JCTC’s school code is 006961. This takes some time so you should apply for financial aid at least 4-6 weeks before school begins. For more information, contact JCTC's Financial Aid Office at 1-855-246-5282.
4. Bring your JCTC student ID number (a nine digit number) that can be found in your admissions letter or upon completion of your online application. Bring a photo ID (for example, a driver’s license or military ID) with you to orientation. You must bring this in order to register for classes.
5. You are welcome to bring up to two parents or support people with you to orientation. Parents and/or support people will not need tickets to attend, but please make us aware of who will be attending with you when you register for SOAR.
6. Directions and maps of each of our campuses can be found on our web site. On most campuses, parking is available near the orientation location. However, on the Downtown Campus, parking is not always available in our lots. Please make your parking plans in advance and take advantage of parking on the street, at a pay lot or utilize the TARC bus system.
Should you have questions about the orientation process, please contact us by calling 502-213-2624 or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.