If your FAFSA was selected for review in a process called Verification, then you must follow the Verification Procedures.  In this process, we (the school) will be comparing information from your FAFSA with information from copies of your (and your spouse’s, if you are married, or your parent’s, if you are dependent) 2015 Federal tax return transcript, and/or with W-2 forms and/ or other financial documents. Federal Regulations grant the college the right to ask you for this information before awarding federal aid.


What you should do:

  • Request a 2015 IRS tax return transcript for yourself (and your spouse or parent’s if necessary) from the IRS (for further information about requesting tax transcript, see below).  See *SPECIAL NOTE* below about using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to meet this requirement.
  • Complete and sign the 2016-2017 Verification Worksheet according to the selected tracking group V1, V4, V5 or V6. Do not leave blank spaces. To obtain the document go to your To Do List, click on details (you will see the assigned verification tracking group you have been assigned), click on this category, which will take you to a panel that will give you a description of this process. You will see a link at the bottom of the page under the description that will take you to the appropriate verification worksheet.

See example below:

  • Your 2016-2017 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) was selected for review in a process called verification.
  • The law says that before awarding Federal Student Aid, we must confirm the information you reported on your FAFSA. 
  • Please provide your college with the documents requested in the Standard V1 Verification Form.
  • Submit this completed signed worksheet, copies of 2015 IRS tax return transcript forms and any other requested documents to the financial aid office as soon as possible to avoid a delay in processing your financial aid.
  • If you use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, you do not need to submit a 2015 IRS Tax return transcript.
  • This brief video tutorial shows you step-by-step instructions for how to submit corrections on your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
  • The Financial Aid Office will compare information on this worksheet and any supporting documents with the information you submitted on your FAFSA and submit changes if necessary.
  • You should NOT submit FAFSA changes yourself after Verification is complete.

    For assistance, please call 855-246-5282 (855-2GO-JCTC) or visit our Student Service Center online.


The best way to verify income is by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool that is part of the FAFSA on the Web. If you have not already used the tool, go to, log in to your FAFSA record, select “Make FAFSA Corrections,” and navigate to the Financial Information section of the form. From there, follow the instructions to determine if you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer 2014 IRS income tax information into your FAFSA. If you filed an amended return, you cannot use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.

To obtain an IRS tax return transcript go to and click on the “Order a Return or Account Transcript” link or call 1-800-908-9946. Make sure to request the “IRS tax return transcript” and NOT the “IRS tax account transcript.”  You will need your Social Security Number, date of birth, and the address on file with the IRS (normally this will be the address used when your 2015 IRS tax return was filed.) There is no fee for this.

It takes up to two weeks for IRS income information to be available for electronic IRS tax return filers, and up to eight weeks for paper IRS tax return filers. If you and your spouse or your parent are married and filed separate 2015 tax returns, a tax return transcript for both must be submitted. You may also request a tax transcript by mailing or faxing the paper Form 4506T-EZ, which can be printed from the IRS website.

Did you file an amendment to your return?

If you filed an amendment to your tax return, you cannot use the IRS Data Retrieval process.  Instead, you must request a “tax transcript” which contains the information on the original return, AND a “tax account transcript” which contains only the data that was altered. Both documents will need to be submitted to the financial aid office.