ConceptKCTCS/KCTCSConcept Transfer from JCTC FAQs | JCTC

Transfer from JCTC FAQs

When can a student transfer?

  • This is a tricky question.
  • A student can transfer whenever they meet the admissions standards of the university.
  • For example - at UofL that is a 21ACT and 2.5GPA OR if they have completed 24 college credit hours with a 2.0 or better.
  • To complicate matters, different colleges within the university have different standards - a 3.0 for Business, a 2.75 for Engineering plus the completion of Calculus, Chemistry and Physics.
  • So the bottom line is that the student is responsible for checking the transfer admissions requirements for both the degree and the college.

Do universities look at the ACT/SAT or high school GPA of a student?

  • Usually colleges only look at the number of college credit hours earned and the GPA for transfer students but some highly selective colleges or programs may have additional requirements.

Does a student have to earn an AA/AS before transfer?

  • No.
    • Most four-year colleges only ask for 24 college credit hours before transfer but we encourage JCTC students to complete the AA or AS before transfer.
  • Why?
    • Students who complete the AA/AS do better after transfer and are more likely to complete the Bachelors degree and with the new transfer plans they are taking the same classes at a lower price at Jefferson.

What is reverse transfer?

  • Sometimes it is not in a students best interest to complete the AA/AS especially if specific courses are not offered at Jefferson
    • Sport Administration is an example.
  • A student can transfer to a four-year and later send a transcript back to Jefferson to be awarded the degree.
  • Research suggests that this additional credential is especially significant for underserved students.

What about selective programs and transfers?

  • For selective programs like Nursing, Physical Therapy, Architecture etc., students must apply to both the university and the program.
  • Students are responsible for checking the program requirements, deadlines and application process.
  • Encourage them to do this as soon as they arrive at Jefferson and also have them contact the program to which they are applying and talk to a program advisor to get the best information.

What is the General Education Block transfer policy?

  • Kentucky law says:
    • General Education Transfer Policy (64K PDF) guarantees that if a student completes an associate (AA or AS) degree at a KCTCS college, any Kentucky public university will accept their general education credits as meeting lower-division general education requirements if their KCTCS transcript is certified. 
    •  Applied Associate Transfer Agreement guarantees that the general education courses students take as part of an applied associate in science (AAS) degree program will transfer and count toward the lower-division general education requirements at the school to which they transfer.
  • This means that if a student completes all of their general education courses or an associates degree in a KCTCS college that all Kentucky public universities must take those classes as the General Education courses for the Bachelors degree.
  • Caveat!
    • This does not exempt them from any courses required for their major and often those required courses can also double as General education requirement.
  • Bottom line
    • The sooner a student knows their major and transfer college, the faster they will graduate with no wasted hours.

How does a student know what classes to take for transfer in their major?

  • Three ways:
    • Work with a transfer Advisor.
    • Use the Academic Program Plan, if available, for that college and major.
    • Contact an advisor at the transfer college and work with them on taking equivalent classes.

How many credits will transfer to a four-year university?

  • Another tricky question.
  • A student can transfer as many credits as they have earned BUT must still have at least 60 credit hours at the 300 and 400 level to earn a Bachelors.
  • The bottom line is that any more than 60 is a waste of time and money so again, a well advised student who has taken classes specific to the degree will be on track to complete in a more timely way.

Do four-year institutions look down on community college transfers?

  • Community college transfers do as well or in many cases do better than native students and graduate at an equal rate if they transfer with 30+ college credit hours.
  • Most professors at four-year colleges cannot tell who is a transfer student in their class.
  • Research suggests that professors and advisors should encourage students to take the most rigorous classes available to make sure that they are well prepared for the university.