Hazardous Gas Leak (Flammable, toxic, corrosive, oxygen, cryogenic)
If a gas cylinder or gas piping should begin leaking, or it is suspected of leaking,
and if the judgment of the person(s) responsible for such materials says it presents
a danger to them or other building occupants, the following steps must be taken:
- Immediately notify building occupants to evacuate the area using the preplanned evacuation
- Notify 911, and then,
- Notify Campus Safety or your campus emergency contact.
- Also, ensure that the ventilation system for the building is shut down.
- Request Public Safety to shut down the HVAC system for your building.
- Provide the following information:
- Building name and/number
- Floor number
- Room number
- Specific chemical name of the involved gas
- Estimated volume of gas
- Vacate the area and report to the pre-designated rally point.
Make every attempt to direct evacuating personnel away from the hazardous area. Building
occupants should not return until instructed to do so.