Attend to the individual; remain calm; speak in a soft voice; maintain eye contact and do not threaten in any way
- Send someone, if possible, to summon assistance
- Isolate the person from contact with other students and staff, if possible
- Encourage the person to talk about his/ her experience/feelings
- Make no effort to physically restrain the person unless to protect yourself.
- If intervention is necessary, act slowly and calmly
- Protect the individuals privacy
- Do not leave the individual alone
- Triage affected students
- Communicate with them individually to reassure them and dispel rumors
- Transition for the person before he/she returns to campus
- Debrief staff
- Notify appropriate person(s) i.e. supervisor, counselor, instructor, Human Resources, etc.