JCTC Awarded Achieving the Dream Leader College Status
LOUISVILLE, KY - (September 22, 2015) Achieving the Dream today announced Jefferson Community & Technical College earned Leader College distinction a national designation awarded to community colleges that commit to improving student success and closing achievement gaps. Jefferson has shown how data can inform policy and practice to help community college students achieve their goals, resulting in improved skills, better employability, and economic growth for families, communities, and the nation as a whole.
Jefferson engaged in two significant interventions, a mandatory first-year experience course that introduces students to student life, study skills and other college success tools, and a comprehensive orientation, advising and registration process. Both have helped close gaps in student achievement.
The first-year experience course, called FYE 105, saw Fall to Spring retention rates for first time at Jefferson students of 68.61 percent, above the overall retention rate of 63.36 percent, and Fall to Fall rates of 46.41 percent, above the overall rate of 42.2 percent.
Becoming a Leader College is very powerful and affirms the exceptional work and commitment of faculty and staff to their students' success," said Achieving the Dream Vice President for Community College Relations Cindy Lenhart. Jefferson is using evidence to make informed decisions that lead to significant institutional change."
The 2015 Achieving the Dream Leader Colleges are:
- Bakersfield College (Bakersfield, CA)
- Kingsborough Community College (Brooklyn, NY)
- Bellingham Technical College (Bellingham, WA)
- Lorain County Community College (Elyria, OH)
- Century College (White Bear Lake, MN)
- Muskegon Community College (Muskegon, MI)
- College of Southern Nevada (North Las Vegas, NV)
- North Lake College (Irving, TX)
- Columbus State Community College (Columbus, OH)
- Paris Junior College (Paris, TX)
- Cumberland County College (Vineland, NJ)
- Southwestern Oregon Community College (Coos Bay, OR)
- Delta College (University Center, MI)
- St. Clair County Community College (Port Huron, MI)
- Gaston College(Dallas, NC)
- St. Petersburg College (St. Petersburg, FL)
- Grand Rapids Community College (Grand Rapids, MI)
- West Los Angeles College (Culver City, CA)
- Jefferson Community & Technical College (Louisville, KY)
The 2015 Leader Colleges are making strides in the national movement to increase student completion and close achievement gaps, demonstrating the power of the Achieving the Dream Approach. With the guidance of Achieving the Dream Coaches, colleges not only systemically change the way they operate, but also implement key student supports that align with their overall policies and institutional systems, such as college readiness programs, mandatory new student orientation, student-success courses, developmental course redesign, curriculum redesign, and intensive, individualized advising.
Achieving the Dream grants Leader College designation for three-year cycles. After three years, institutions must undergo a recertification process to maintain Leader College status.