Financial Aid Office
SUMMER 2017 FINANCIAL AID PROCESS
Summer, 2017 Aid Processing will begin on approximately March 31, 2017. If you will be attending JCTC for the Summer 2017 Semester and would like to receive Financial Aid, you must do the following:
- Complete the 2016-17 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at fafsa.ed.gov. The School Code is 006961- if you received financial aid at JCTC during the Fall 2016 and/or Spring 2017, you have met this requirement. You should also be sure to file the 2017-2018 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to get prepared for the Fall, 2017 semester.
- Register for Summer 2017 classes (required). Aid will be processed first come, first served based on enrollment date and then FAFSA filing date. Financial Aid will likely NOT be available to meet payment deadline for classes that start on 5/15/17.
- Provide the JCTC Financial Aid Office with information regarding any 3rd Party Financial Resources such as Scholarships, Employer Assistance, etc.
- Submit any additional documentation requested by the Financial Aid Office.
- You will receive notice of your aid status via your KCTCS Student Email account – please review this account regularly.
- If your class attendance cannot be confirmed, your aid will not be disbursed.
- Financial Aid funds will not be applied to student accounts for the Summer 2017 until approximately 6/28/17.
- Using anticipated financial aid funds for book charges at the JCTC Barnes and Noble Bookstore will be allowed on the approximate dates from May 26, 2017 to June 14, 2017.
After students register for Summer, 2017 courses AND have a 2016-2017 FAFSA with the 006961 JCTC school code on file, it will take approximately 10 business days for us to review and respond to your request for financial aid. If your Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) status is currently at Warning, Probation, or Plan of Action we cannot process your request for financial aid for the Summer, 2017 term until the “End of Term Processing” for the Spring, 2017 semester is complete and academic progress evaluations can be finalized. End of Term Processing is tentatively scheduled for May 10, 2017 and Academic Progress Evaluations are tentatively scheduled for May 13, 2017.
If your SAP status is evaluated to be in “NOT MEETS” or “SUSPEND” status, you will not be eligible for Summer financial aid. Please visit the following website for the SAP Appeal Process: http://jefferson.kctcs.edu/en/Costs_and_Financial_Aid/Financial_Aid_Office/SAP.aspx.
BOOK CHARGE DATES USING ANTICIPATED FINANCIAL AID AWARDS:
Summer 2017 = May 26, 2017 through June 14, 2017 (THESE ARE APPROXIMATE DATES)
Financial Aid will likely NOT be available to meet the payment deadline or to purchase books for classes that start on May 15, 2017.
Please be sure you have a Financial Aid Release (FAR) form on record. You can obtain the FAR form at the Financial Aid Office or from the "Forms" page on our web site. It may also be available from your Student Self-Service.
SUMMER LOAN INFORMATION
If you are eligible for student loans, we will automatically offer this to you in your award package for the summer term. You will need to accept, reduce, or decline via your student self-service.
If you choose to pursue student loan funding, please be advised that loan disbursements for first year, first time borrowers must be delayed 30 days into the term. To ensure your loan is not delayed, be sure to sign your Master Promissory Note (MPN) and complete Entrance Loan Counseling at www.studentloans.gov immediately after you request your loan. Please also remember to remain enrolled in at least 6 credit hours or more and to always to be in good academic standing in your coursework
SATISFACTORY ACADEMIC PROGRESS
Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is used to define successful completion of coursework to maintain eligibility for student financial aid.
Federal regulations require the institution to establish, publish and apply standards to monitor your progress towards completion of your certificate or degree program.
Reguations require that financial aid students begin attendance in each of their classes.
Students who do not attend class are referred to as NO SHOWS and their aid disbursements are withheld until attendance can be proven.
If for some reason the award has already been paid, you'll be required to repay any amount that you are not eligible to receive.
RETURNING YOUR FINANCIAL AID (R2T4)
If you receive failing grades because you stop attending classes, you'll be required to repay a portion of federal financial aid unless your instructor can document that you attended class through the 60 percent date of the enrollment period.
If you have other questions about attendance requirements, please contact your Financial Aid Office.
When you are admitted, JCTC establishes a student account for you, identified by your personal ID number, often referred as your EMPL ID. Your student account records all charges (and payments) for tuition, books, and fees. After you have met all eligibility requirements, financial aid awards are credited to your JCTC student account each semester. Financial aid and scholarship disbursement dates vary each semester. Disbursements generally begin in September (for fall term), February (for spring term), and late June (for summer term).
Aid disbursement will be based on the total number of credit hours you are enrolled in or have completed during the term as of the census date. The census date is generally the 7th calendar day from the start of the semester. Therefore, please be sure to register for all of your intended courses by the census date. This is how your financial aid eligibility will be determined.
Before expecting a financial aid disbursement, make sure the following things are in order:
- You must not have any NO REFUND holds on your student account.
- Your Financial Aid file must be complete no missing documents, check your school email account or Student Self-Service To Do List
- You must not have any NO SHOW holds on your student record.
- For Direct Stafford Loans, ensure you have completed Entrance Loan Counseling.
- For Direct Stafford Loans, ensure you have completed the Master Promissory Note.
- New student loan borrowers should expect a 30 day delay on their first loan disbursement.
If you have a credit balance (financial aid awards and any other credits are greater than your total bill), you'll receive a refund.
When the refund process begins each semester and after all fees and charges are paid, your financial aid credit is automatically refunded to you. Generally the refund process for the fall begins in early September, for the spring, it begins in early February, and for the summer, it begins in late June.
JCTC uses the KCTCS Easy Refund Program (BankMobile.) to process all refunds
Refunds are processed through the Bursar s office once a week and forwarded to BankMobile for distribution. The refunds are distributed by BankMobile based on the students selected refund preference. When you receive your BankMobile Debit card, please visit their website at www.kctcsdebitcard.com to select your preferred refund method. BankMobile will send an email to you once your refund has been processed. You are responsible for any additional charges placed on your student account after the refund goes through.
Need help filling out your FAFSA?
Kentuckiana College Access Center (KCAC), located on the 7th Floor of the Jefferson Educational Building on the Downtown Campus can help you complete and file your FAFSA. This free service is a valuable resource to our students. However, please note that this is not the Financial Aid Office of JCTC. Once you fill out your FAFSA, you will need to submit any necessary or requested financial aid paperwork to a JCTC Financial Aid office location.
For KCAC FAFSA help call 502-584-0475.
For other Financial Aid questions or assistance please call 855-246-5282 (855-2GO-JCTC) or visit our online Student Service Center.