STAR Summer Bridge Program
STAR (Student Transition and Retention Program) Summer Bridge Program is a six week transition program that helps incoming underrepresented minority first year students adjust to Jefferson by providing academic enrichment, social engagement, community building, and co-curricular learning activities.
The learning objectives are:
- Familiarize and connect participants with available campus resources and support services.
- Provide program participants with academic personal and career advisement.
- Engage program participants in experiential learning activities.
- Provide incoming participants with concentrated work in the areas of critical reading, writing, mathematics, and technology.
- Connect students with college and local leaders to build personal and professional networks.
- Educate students on best practices that lead to first year success like technological needs and traditional college policies and procedures.
- Develop leadership skills and confidence in first year students
The program is designed to ease participants’ personal and academic transition from high school to the college or transitioning to college. Students will also participate in activities designed to supplement their summer experience by engaging in high-impact learning experiences often facilitated by units such as the Learning Common (tutoring services), Office of Diversity, Inclusion, and Community Engagement, Office of Student Engagement, academic departments, and community partners. Additionally, cultural and recreational activities are significant components of the program, as students are introduced to the college and the array of opportunities and resources available in the Metro Louisville area and in the Commonwealth.
Any underrepresented minority student who has been admitted to Jefferson will be eligible to apply. Students who complete the program will be eligible to receive a free laptop. Meals will be provided on all days.
The dates and times are 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM on the following dates:
- June 29th, 30th, and July 1st
- July 6th, 7th, and 8th
- July 13th, 14th, and 15th
- July 20th, 21st, and 22nd
- July 27th, 28th, and 29th
If you are interested in attending, please click the link and register