S.T.A.R. Summer Bridge Program 2023
S.T.A.R. (Student Transition and Retention Program) Summer Bridge Program is a six-week transition program that helps incoming first-year students adjust to Jefferson by providing academic enrichment, social engagement, community building, and co-curricular learning activities.
Program participants can expect to:
- Learn about campus resources and support services
- Understand best practices to successfully navigate college
- Gain a better understanding of which field to pursue in college
- Form lasting connections with peers, faculty, and staff
- Engage in off-campus field trips for educational and team-building purposes
- Receive academic, personal, and career advice from trained leaders
- Receive continued support throughout your first semester
The program is designed to ease participants' personal and academic transition from high school to college. Students will also participate in activities designed to supplement their summer experience by engaging in high-impact learning experiences often facilitated by units such as the Learning Common (tutoring services), Office of Diversity, Inclusion, and Community Engagement, Office of Student Engagement, academic departments, and community partners.
Additionally, cultural and recreational activities are significant components of the program, as students are introduced to the college and the array of opportunities and resources available in the Metro Louisville area and in the Commonwealth.
Students who are accepted and complete the program will earn credit towards their Freshman Year Experience Class and will be eligible to receive a free laptop. Meals will be provided on all days. Field trips will be included at no cost.
When Is S.T.A.R.?
The program will run for a full six weeks (June 20–July 28) on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.
|June 20, 21, 22, 23||10:00 am – 3:00 pm|
|June 27, 28, 29, 30||10:00 am – 3:00 pm|
|July 5, 6, 7||10:00 am – 3:00 pm|
|July 11, 12, 13, 14||10:00 am – 3:00 pm|
|July 18, 19, 20, 21||10:00 am – 3:00 pm|
|July 25, 26, 27, 28||10:00 am – 3:00 pm|
All participants must complete the following before beginning the program:
- Completed the Jefferson Community and Technical College (JCTC) application
- Sent test scores or transcript into Admissions Office
- Completed FAFSA application for 2023-2024 academic year
- Completed Evolve502 scholarship application (if applicable)
- Attended a JCTC Student Orientation, Advising and Registration (SOAR) Session
Priority will be given to Evolve 502 students who meet at least one of the listed criteria:
- Underrepresented Minority (URM), or
- Opportunity Grant from Evolve 502, or
- First-Generation college student (first in their family to attend college)
Students must have a high school overall GPA of 2.2, ACT score of 16, SAT score of 440, or SOAR eligible placement scores.
If you are interested in attending, please register using the link below or contact Elizabeth Staten (she/her) at email@example.com.
Registration for this year's S.T.A.R. Summer Bridge Program will be open March 10–May 31, 2023.
*Please note: Completing this registration form does not guarantee admittance into the program. All registrants will be notified on the decision of admittance into the program after registration closes on May 31, 2023. You must submit a registration by May 31, 2023, to be considered for participant into the program.