13-F1-Dependents-and-F2-Visas | JCTC

Dependents and F-2 Visas

The spouse or child(ren) of an F-1 visa holder may accompany the F-1 student to the U.S. under certain provisions.  Each dependent must have his/her own I-20 and apply for his/her own F-2 visa.  Additional financial support must be shown for each dependent for each year of the student’s study.  Documentation of an additional $4000 for a spouse, and $2000 for each child must be demonstrated in order to receive the I-20 for each dependent.

If the dependents are not traveling with the F-1 visa holder right away, they can receive their I-20s at a later date.

There are special rules for F-2 visa holders.