01-What-is-an-F1-Visa-Student | JCTC

What is an F-1 Visa Student?

What is an F-1 visa?

The F-1 visa is for citizens of foreign countries who want to come to the U.S. temporarily to go to school. An F-1 visa is a paper stamp placed in a person’s passport by a U.S. official from a U.S. Embassy outside of the U.S. The F-1 visa allows a person to apply at a U.S. port of entry for admission into the U.S. for the purpose of pursuing a program of study at a U.S. college or university.

What is an F-1 visa student?

An F-1 student is someone who has been granted an F-1 visa as permission from the U.S. federal government to enter and remain in the United States temporarily as a full-time student.  F-1 students must follow special regulations to maintain their visa status.

How do I obtain an F-1 visa?

To obtain an F-1 visa, you must first apply to the U.S. college or university of your choice.  If you are accepted to Jefferson, you are given a Form I-20 from the college. The form I-20 is proof that you have been accepted to Jefferson. After you have been given an I-20, you can apply for F-1 student status with the U.S. government.

F1 Visa students also must follow special regulations. Among them, students:

  • Must always be a full-time student except during school vacation.
  • May only work on-campus, for up to 20 hours per week.
  • May not work off-campus without special permission from the immigration service.
  • Must always have a valid passport.
  • Must have proof of financial support for their time and studies in the U.S.
  • Must follow special procedures for transferring schools, traveling, and reporting changes to personal and financial information.