15K Degrees Scholarships
15K Degrees is an initiative to actively engage and mobilize Louisville's African-American community in support of 55,000 Degrees Greater Louisville s Education Commitment. 15K Degrees seeks to add 15,000 additional post-secondary degrees to Louisville s African-American community by 2020. The 15,000 Degrees Scholarship is a last dollar grant of up to $1,500.00 to cover tuition, books and fees. Approximately 3-5 scholarships will be awarded for the school year, depending on the number of applicants. Although the scholarship is not renewable, students may re-apply each year for consideration.
- To qualify, applicants must be of African-American descent who:
- Will earn a high school degree or GED certificate in 2013, or have attended college in the past 24 months but did not complete a degree program
- Are not currently enrolled in college courses
- Demonstrate financial need
Recipients may use the scholarship award to pursue a bachelor s or associate's degree at one of the following schools:
- Bellarmine University
- Indiana University Southeast
- Ivy Tech Community College (Sellersburg, IN campus)
- Jefferson Community & Technical College
- Kentucky State University
- Simmons College of Kentucky
- Spalding University
- Sullivan University
- University of Louisville
In order for your application to be considered, the following attachments must be submitted with the completed application:
- Your most recent official academic transcript
- Copy of your letter of acceptance to the school of your choice
- A copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR) furnished by the U.S. Department of Education, indicating your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) toward your college education.
- You can obtain an application for the Student Aid Report from your school's financial aid office or online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
- Two letters of recommendation from persons who know you well. May not be a relative.
- A typed essay (300 words or less) on what higher education means to you.
- A recent photo (head and shoulders) of yourself
For questions contact Gail Sanders at firstname.lastname@example.org or 502.585.4649 ext. 1025.
Return this application with all required attachments to:
The Community Foundation of Louisville
325 West Main Street, Suite 1110
Louisville, KY 40202