The Retention Office houses both the Success Coaches and the Student Engagement Coordinator. The Success Coaches work with students in different cohorts and connect with students who have flags in Starfish. The goal is to help students complete their goals by offering support and connections to other offices. The Student Engagement Coordinator works with the Student Life Committee, Phi Theta Kappa (student honor society), and student group advisors to help with student retention by keeping students engaged. If you have any questions or interests in student organizations or Phi Theta Kappa, check it out on the Student Engagement page.
What is Starfish?
Starfish is an early alert management system and an educational support networking system used by Jefferson Community & Technical College to help students stay up to date and informed about what’s going on in their individual courses.
Starfish allows students to connect with campus faculty and staff and allows Jefferson faculty and staff to connect students with campus resources.
Why do I need to know about Starfish?
This is a great way to ask for help when you don’t where to go. The RAISE YOUR HAND option in your Starfish allows you to reach out for help in most departments on campus. It helps us connect you to someone.
Instructors may use Starfish to give feedback about your progress in courses using tracking items.
- You will receive an email notification if an instructor raises a Flag, gives you a Kudos, sends a Referral, or posts a To-Do item.
- You may also receive a communication from an Academic Success Coach offering you resources and support.
What do we do?
Retention helps students who are in situations that could prevent them from being successful in their classes. We aid with getting students the tools and resources they need to help be successful, whether it be in the classroom or out.
- Collaborate with students to understand needs and provide support in academic and non-academic areas.
- Offer 1-on-1 meetings to students to create partnerships, create a support system, and decide upon a check-in routine that works best for the student.
- Provide resources on time management, study skills, organization tips, stress management and other tools aimed at increasing the likelihood of success.
- Answer general questions related to advising, registration, degree planning and goal setting.
- Work diligently, using the Starfish tool combined with concerted outreach efforts to keep students engaged and motivated to complete their college goals.
- Support students by connecting them with available college resources, helping them to pinpoint and remove barriers and empowering them to be active participants in their college careers.
- Offer a student-centered space where the persistence and achievement of all students is top priority.