These procedures for book adoptions were revised and approved in May, 2006 and made
available to all faculty, division chairs, and academic administration.
The Jefferson Community and Technical College’s bookstores are contracted to Barnes
& Noble. These policies and procedures have been put into place not only to comply
with the contract with Barnes & Noble but with fair competition laws as well.
The procedures are as follows:
- Barnes & Noble Jefferson Bookstores will provide blank book order forms.
- On Jefferson’s web site there is an on line adoption form that may also be used.
- Fill out the information needed, change your printer to Landscape and print the document
to send to the respective Barnes & Noble bookstore
- Downtown bookstore for Downtown, Carrollton, Shelby County and the Technical campuses
- Southwest bookstore for the Southwest campus.
- A book order adoption form is needed FOR EVERY CLASS, SECTION, AND OFF-CAMPUS SITE
for each class that is being offered for that semester.
- Please note: Even if no textbooks are required you must fill out the appropriate adoption
form for that class, no exceptions.
- All adoption forms must be filled out with all information on the forms: Division/Department,
Course Number, Section Letter, Instructor/Contact name, and Enrollment Estimate.
- A due date will be given and must be adhered to.
- If problems arise making it difficult to honor the given due date, please contact
the Bookstore for assistance.
- Approximate due dates for Book Orders are as follows:
- Intersession/Summer Classes - March 15th,
- Fall Classes - April 15th
- Spring Classes - October 15th.
- These dates allow the bookstores to not only order the books in plenty of time for
classes, but also to notify them of which books to buy back from the students.
- Without this information they will not be able to buy back textbooks from student
at half price at the end of the semester.
- To provide our students with the best service and value, faculty members will be required
to use the most current edition of any text required.
- A two-year adoption period for required text will be honored, unless specific approval
is given by the Academic Dean to change text.
- When course packets are required for students the following guidelines will be used:
- For those that are to be duplicated:
- Along with the book order form, faculty will provide two copies of the required course
packet(s) with the Book Adoption Form.
- A list of any material in the course packet that requires Copyright permission must
be provided with the book order form.
- COPYRIGHT LAWS MUST BE FOLLOWED IN ORDER TO PROTECT THE COLLEGE AS WELL AS ANY FACULTY
MEMBERS REQUIRING AND USING THESE MATERIALS.
- If you are uncertain about copyright laws, please contact the Jefferson Bookstore
as early in the process as possible.
- Christina Butler
- Melissa Wilson
- For course packs that have been published by an outside arrangement:
- Provide that information (similar to a textbook listing) on the Book Adoption Form.
- When completed, ALL ADOPTION FORMS MUST BE SENT TO THE RESPECTIVE JEFFERSON BARNES
& NOBLE BOOKSTORE.
- Copies of the form will then be sent to the other bookstore(s) serving Jefferson Community
and Technical College.
Contractual agreements, fair competition, and copyright laws require that these procedures
be strictly followed.
Thank you for your cooperation.