Statement of Philosophy
AAWCC is guided in all of its endeavors by a firm commitment to equity and excellence in education and employment for women in community, junior and technical colleges. That commitment is translated into action at the national, regional, state and local levels through AAWCC programs, activities and services developed and offered in accordance with the following principles:
- The achievement of equity for women is critical to the wise and just development and use of valuable human resources.
- Equity is promoted through AAWCC's efforts to improve access to educational opportunities, employment at all levels, and policy-making and decision-making forums.
- Equity issues may include career upward-mobility, comparable pay for comparable work, increased involvement of women in governing bodies, and appropriate support services for adult women enrolled in two-year colleges.
- Commitment to equity must be matched by an equally strong commitment to educational and professional excellence.
- Excellence is promoted through AAWCC's efforts to encourage and reward educational achievement and professional endeavors, to provide opportunities for professional development, and to develop linkages and disseminate information pertaining to specific concerns.
- Both equity and excellence may be enhanced through a strong and effective network of women in community, junior and technical colleges -- a network where a purposeful focus on tasks, issues and achievements is continually matched by a sensitive concern for people.