All policies can now be found on the KCTCS INTRANET.
3.3.21 KCTCS E-Mail
Electronic mail or "e-mail" is considered an official method for communication at KCTCS because it delivers information in a convenient, timely, cost effective, and environmentally aware manner. KCTCS takes reasonable security precautions to ensure the privacy of this correspondence, both when it is in transit between electronic mailboxes and when it is stored in an individual s electronic mailbox. All members of the KCTCS community should be advised, however, that electronic media are not entirely private, and confidential information should be sent by other means.
This policy ensures that students, faculty, staff, and administrators have access to this important form of communication. It ensures KCTCS groups can be reached through a standardized channel by faculty and other staff of KCTCS colleges as needed. Specifically, the purpose of this policy is to: Establish policy on privacy, confidentiality, and security in electronic communications; Ensure that KCTCS electronic communications resources are used for purposes appropriate to the KCTCS mission; Inform the KCTCS community about the applicability of laws and KCTCS policies to electronic communications; Ensure that electronic communications resources are used in compliance with those laws and KCTCS policies; and Prevent disruptions to and misuse of KCTCS electronic communications resources, services, and activities.
Questions or comments about this policy should be directed to the KCTCS Chief Information Officer or designee.
- Forwarded e-mail:
- E-Mail sent to an address that is automatically sent via computer code to another e-mail account.
- Official e-mail account:
- An e-mail account, issued by KCTCS, which is based on a person s name and ends in the domain name "KCTCS.edu".
- Emergency or necessity:
- Circumstances under which notification of the college or KCTCS community will reduce the risk of personal harm, property damage, or severe negative impact on KCTCS operations.
- Large routine, periodic, targeted mailings:
- Mailings sent to all or most of a broad constituency such as students, faculty, or staff.
- Examples of such mailings would be those containing news and announcements collected and sent on a regular basis, in lieu of distinct separate mailings; notification from the Office of the Registrar of the availability of final grade information sent to all students; reminders concerning financial aid deadlines sent to relevant student populations by the Office of Student Financial Aid.
- Commercial mailings:
- Mailings promoting the products or services of an entity not directly affiliated with KCTCS.
- KCTCS Community:
- All KCTCS administrators, faculty, staff, and students from all KCTCS colleges and System Office.
- College Community:
- A KCTCS college group of administrators, faculty, staff, and students.
KCTCS students and employees have an obligation to use their access to the Internet and e-mail in a responsible and informed way, conforming to network etiquette, customs, courtesies, and any or all applicable laws or regulation. As with other forms of publications, copyright restrictions/regulations shall be observed. KCTCS students and employees shall be aware that their conduct or information they publish could reflect on the reputation of KCTCS. Therefore, professionalism in all communications is of the utmost importance. KCTCS students and employees shall represent themselves and KCTCS accurately and honestly through electronic information or service content. E-Mail should be used for appropriate business use" only. Those who choose to use email to transmit highly sensitive or confidential information should be aware of the potential risks of sending unsecured transmissions. E-Mails of this nature should, at a minimum, contain a confidentiality statement.