Campaign for regional JCTC campus hits halfway mark | JCTC

News Archive

Campaign for regional JCTC campus hits halfway mark

$250,000 Dow Corning commitment lifts effort

A bold community effort to raise $4 million toward a state-of-the-art regional college campus has topped the halfway mark.

The campaign, Building Regional Success: JCTC Carrollton Campus, officially launched June 26. It is part of the statewide initiative called BuildSmart: Investment for Kentucky Competitiveness passed by the 2014 General Assembly, to fund facilities at each of the state s 16 community and technical colleges. The legislation authorizes bonds for 75 percent of the project if the college and community can raise the other 25 percent. The Carrollton Campus is a $16 million project.

Reaching the $2 million mark so quickly truly demonstrates the commitment of the region to higher education, said Tony Newberry, President and CEO. Industry and individuals are stepping up to ensure that our region does not miss out on this opportunity.

All BuildSmart project fundraising must be completed by Jan. 1, 2016, but college and campaign officials want to wrap up fundraising by the end of 2014, with a goal of beginning classes in the new facility in Fall 2016.

A generous $250,000 commitment this month by Dow Corning in Carroll County pushed the total passed the benchmark. Other gifts are expected within the next couple of months to push the total close to $3 million, but officials know they still have much to do to reach $4 million.

We are ready to go, said campaign co-chair Carroll County Judge Executive Harold Shorty Tomlinson. Architectural plans are being completed. We anticipate breaking ground in the Spring. We just need to finish strong. This is the time we need donors to step up and no gift is too small for this vital project.

The JCTC Carrollton Campus originally opened in 1990 with funding from the newly formed Carrollton College Educational Foundation, a local consortium of business and civic leaders. The campus has since outgrown two facilities, both renovated former stores. To meet demand, it must add classes and programs, which it cannot do in its current space on Main Street in Downtown Carrollton.

Plans call for a state-of-the-art, 40,000-square-foot campus that will allow the college to provide a full range of general education and liberal arts courses as well as technical programs that will help fill employer needs. The campus will be built on 30-acres of land off US 227, across from General Butler State Park, that the college purchased in 2010 with the help of contributions from Carroll County Fiscal Court, Carrollton College Educational Foundation and North American Stainless.

The Carrollton Campus serves students in Carroll, Henry, Gallatin, Oldham, Owen and Trimble counties and beyond. Students can complete associate degrees that transfer into four-year programs, or can prepare for careers in industry. The college also offers customized education and training programs for business and industry.

The Carrollton foundation and the JCTC Educational Foundation have teamed to complete the campaign.