I WANT TO BE PART OF THE SOLUTION!
THIS YEAR I PLEDGE TO: BE AN ENERGY STAR!
- Walk, bike, take the TARC bus or carpool to campus whenever possible. (see reverse)
- Turn lights and equipment off when vacating a room.
- Unplug chargers & equipment not in use.
- Set thermostats moderately
- (<70°F winter / >75°F summer) & adjust 10°F when vacating a room.
- Set my computer to “hibernate” or “sleep” when idle
- (under Control Panel > Power Options).
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with more efficient compact fluorescent lamps (CFL).
- Purchase only efficient Energy Star® rated appliances, electronics & computers.
- Use a clothesline instead of energy hogging clothes dryers.
REDUCE SOLID WASTE!
- Cut my paper use in half by duplexing – printing or copying on both sides.
- Avoid excess packaging by bringing my own bags and buying in bulk whenever possible.
- At the checkout, I’ll refuse new plastic or paper bags and bring my own reusable shopping
- At mealtimes, I’ll use reusable mugs, cups, utensils, cloth napkins and towels rather
- Switch to rechargeable batteries rather than toxic disposables.
- Not print e-mails or other documents unless it’s truly necessary.
- Buy pre-owned items whenever possible or new items with post-consumer recycled content.
- Donate unwanted items to charities, thrift stores, or non-profit organizations; or
have a yard sale!
- Recycle computers, TVs, E-waste (Home Depot recycles CFLs)
- Recycle hazardous materials (paints, solvents, chemicals, fluorescents, etc.)
- Recycle paper, cardboard, plastic, metal, and glass
EAT BETTER FOOD!
- Eat locally grown produce, dairy, or meat/ locally made foods, for better health &
a strong economy.
- Eat less meat & animal products, substituting with plant protein (beans, nuts, etc.)
to cut my impact 10x.
- Buy organic, fair trade & plant-based products to minimize abuse to the environment,
people and animals.
- Not run water unnecessarily while brushing my teeth, shaving, or washing dishes.
- Replace my water fixtures with low-flow shower heads, faucets and/or toilets.
Questions: Please email Pamela Turner