What is a Medicaid Nurse Aide?
A Medicaid Nurse Aide provides direct care for patients in multiple settings under the direction of a LPN or an RN. Medicaid Nurse Aides roles include providing for hygiene, comfort, exercise, safety as well as observing and reporting patient/client conditions. Often Medicaid Nurse Aides provide emotional support to clients as well as families during a healthcare encounter.
What are my career choices?
A few examples of workplaces in your local area:
- Long term care facilities
- Home Care Agencies
What are my degree, diploma, or certificate options?
Student’s will receive a certificate of completion for these courses with a passing grade.
You can earn your Medicaid Nurse Aide certificate while studying towards your associate degree. Students that earn this certificate are invited to participate in graduation and receive a printed credential! Apply now so you can celebrate a milestone towards your degree.
Length of Program
This information should not be considered a substitute for the KCTCS Catalog. You should always choose classes in cooperation with your faculty advisor to ensure that you meet all degree requirements.
How do I apply?
To enroll in the Medicaid Nurse Aide courses:
- If you are not a current student, then you will need to enroll in the college.
- If you are a current student, then you can enroll by signing into your student-service online account.
- Once enrolled in HST 104, students will receive an email about requirements that must
be complete by the clinical portion of the class.
- CastleBranch Background check
- Drug Screening
- 2 Step Skin TB Tests
- Hepatitis B Vaccination
- Fall/Spring only: Flu Vaccination
HST 104 Classes are offered throughout the year. Search availability at the following campuses: Jefferson Technical Campus, Carrollton Campus and Shelby Campus locations.
- Classes are available throughout the year.
- Please check the class schedule. Students can enroll in either class to prepare for going into the Nursing Program.
Medicaid Nurse Aide Training Programs
HST 104 (3.5 credit hours, includes CPR)
NAA 100 (3.0 credit hours, doesn’t include CPR)
Kentucky Nurse Aide Certification State Testing (KNAT) for the Nurse Aide Registry
To be listed on the State Nurse Aide Registry, a student must take the state written examination and skill competency evaluation upon successfully completing a nurse aide course.
Students are eligible to take the state certification exam for one year from the date they completed their training.
- KNAT state testing will be at the Jefferson Technical Campus, Building B, 2nd Floor, Room 208, 727 W. Chestnut Street, Louisville, KY. 40203
- Testing fees are $115.00 and non-refundable.
- To schedule your exam, contact your Training Center.
- All test applicants must present a valid government picture ID (Driver’s License, Military ID, Passport) and a social security card on the date of the test.
- NO LAMINATED SOCIAL SECURITY CARDS WILL BE ACCEPTED
- Contact the Medicaid Nurse Aide office for a Parking Pass prior to the day of your scheduled test.