Substantive Change Policy
Jefferson Community and Technical College
Substantive Change Policy
Jefferson Community and Technical College complies with the Substantive Change Policy
required by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
As defined by SACSCOC, a substantive change is a significant modification or expansion of the nature and scope of an accredited institution. This includes:
- Any change in the established mission or objectives of the institution
- Any change in legal status, form of control, or ownership of the institution
- The addition of courses or programs that represent a significant departure, either in content or method of delivery, from those that were offered when the institution was last evaluated
- The addition of courses or programs of study at a degree or credential level different from that which is included in the institution’s current accreditation or reaffirmation.
- A change from clock hours to credit hours
- A substantial increase in the number of clock or credit hours awarded for successful completion of a program
- The establishment of an additional location geographically apart from the main campus at which the institution offers at least 50% of an educational program.
- The establishment of a branch campus
- Closing a program, off-campus site, branch campus or institution
- Entering into a collaborative academic arrangement that includes only the initiation of a dual or joint academic program with another institution
- Acquiring another institution or a program or location of another institution
- Adding a permanent location at a site where the institution is conducting a teach-out program for a closed institution
- Entering into a contract by which an entity not eligible for Title IV funding offers 25% or more of one or more of the accredited institution’s programs
Source: SACSCOC Substantive Change Policy, Revised May 2018
In order to monitor the College’s compliance with the SACSCOC Substantive Change Policy, and to facilitate the flow of information regarding actions leading to a substantive change notification, the College established a Substantive Change Committee. The Substantive Change Committee is comprised of individuals representing the following areas:
- Office of Institutional Effectiveness, Research, and Planning (Convener)
- Vice President of Academic Affairs (SACSCOC Liaison)
- Academic Deans
- Workforce Solutions
- Grants and Contracts
- Early College and Dual Credit
- Financial Aid
- Campus Liaisons
- Additional Campus Stakeholders Invited on an As-Needed Basis
Jefferson’s Substantive Change Committee meets quarterly in January, April, July, and October, and on an ad hoc basis if there are substantive change actions that require committee discussion.
The Substantive Change Committee members are responsible for identifying possible substantive changes in advance of implementation and communicating these changes to the Director of Institutional Effectiveness, Research, and Planning and/or the Vice President of Academic Affairs. The Director of Institutional Effectiveness, Research, and Planning and the Vice President of Academic Affairs are responsible for determining whether a substantive change notification or approval is required.
Last Reviewed November 15, 2018