Transfer To Jefferson FAQs


How do I transfer to Jefferson?

Students, who have previously attended college or university outside of KCTCS, must apply to Jefferson and submit Official Transcripts from all college/universities they attended for evaluation.

Applications to JCTC are available online

What courses will transfer?

If you attended a Regionally Accredited college or university, your 100 & 200 level courses will transfer to Jefferson as long as you earned a passing grade of D- or better. If you need course work higher than the 200 level for graduation purposes you may discuss substitutions with your advisor or program coordinator prior to graduation. Courses from non-accredited colleges or universities will not transfer.

If you have credit earned through CLEP or Military Service you will need to submit official documentation for evaluation to Jefferson's Admissions Office.

To view a listing of courses and how they transfer, view the transfer equivalency database.

Who completes my transcript evaluation?

Once you have registered and started your coursework at Jefferson a member of the Registrars Office staff will complete your transcript evaluation. Once the evaluation is finalized and posted to your student account, your KCTCS student email account will be notified of the records update.

What is an accredited College?

In order to be classified as fully accredited, a college or university must be a member of a recognized accrediting association, such as the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Credit earned from a Non-Accredited institution is not recognized in the Council on Postsecondary Educations general education transfer policy and will not transfer to Jefferson.

How can I tell if my previous institution was accredited?

Regionally accrediting agency names differ depending on the institutions location. To view the accreditation status of your previous institution(s), you can search the US Department of Educations Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs. Even if your previous college or university is not accredited all records must be submitted to Jefferson to comply with KCTCS Admissions policy.

Here are some of the associations that Jefferson accepts coursework from currently:

  • Middle States Commission on Higher Education
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges
  • North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
  • Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges

Will my GPA from my previous college or university affect my Jefferson GPA?

Your previous grade-point average (GPA) will not transfer, but the grades you earned will be notated on your Jefferson record. The amount of credits you earned will calculate into your Jefferson cumulative earned hours.

How are credentials or coursework from other countries evaluated?

An official line-by-line (or course-by-course) evaluation of international coursework must be completed by a recognized international evaluation agency before Jefferson will consider these credentials for transfer credit. Jefferson suggests using World Education Services (WES) or Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE).

A complete list of accepted agencies and their contact information can be found on the website of the National Association of Credential Evaluating Services.

The student is responsible for arranging for credential evaluation by an accepted agency and is expected to pay all costs of translation and/or evaluation of these credentials.

After the review has been completed, the student should request that a copy of their evaluation be forwarded to Jefferson. The Registrars Office will then determine specific course equivalencies if applicable. Courses that need further evaluation will be sent to the students academic area for consideration.

How are credit hours counted?

Degree credit work taken at a fully accredited college or university is recognized credit hour for credit hour. Quarter hours are recognized as two-thirds (2/3) of a semester hour.

  • For example: 4 quarter hours equals 3 semester hours, and 3 quarter hours equals 2 semester hours

How long does it take for an evaluation to be completed?

Transfer evaluations are only completed for degree-seeking students. Once transcripts have been received and you have started your coursework at Jefferson an evaluation typically takes one semester. If you are in need of an evaluation for registration purposes an advisor or program coordinator can provide an unofficial evaluation.

How can I appeal an evaluation of an equivalent course?

Some courses taken at other colleges or universities may not be equivalent to courses offered to satisfy major requirements at Jefferson. If you think that a transferred course is compatible with requirements for your major, you may petition to have transferred coursework apply toward your degree. In such cases, you will need to supply a course description and possibly a copy of the syllabus for that class to the Registrars Office.

The student is expected to contact their own institution for the documents needed for appeal. Once documentation has been received the Registrars Office, in conjunction, with faculty in the petitioned course division will discuss equivalency options and make a final decision.

You will be notified of the appeal decision through your KCTCS student email.

How do I look up my transfer credits in Peoplesoft?

  1. Login to PeopleSoft
  2. Enter your User ID and password. Same as your KCTCS e-mail username and password.
  3. Select SA Self-Service, choose Transfer Credit, select View Transfer, then choose Credit Report.

How can I transfer credit from CLEP, AP, or Military experiences to Jefferson?

Credits earned through other education programs, such as credit-by-examination, CLEP, and military experience are reviewed by the Registrars Office and credit may be granted if applicable.

How do I submit my official transcript?

In order for your admission packet to be complete and before any of your transfer coursework will be evaluated, Jefferson's Admissions Office must receive an official transcript from each institution you have attended. The official transcript must list final grades and have a print date of less than six months old. Official transcripts may be sent directly to Jefferson from your previous school, or you may submit transcripts yourself in the original sealed envelope provided by your previous college or university.

The college reserves the right to request an official transcript be sent directly by previous institutions.

If you are hand delivering a student issued official transcript, the transcript must be delivered in a sealed envelope from the sending school.

Military transcripts must be sent directly to Jefferson from the military.

To ensure you are not blocked from any courses that require prerequisites, you must submit transcripts prior to enrolling. All transcripts received become the permanent property of the college.

Please mail transcripts to:

Jefferson Community & Technical College
109 E. Broadway
Louisville, KY 40202

If you have any questions, please contact the Jefferson records office by email at