First Time VA Applicant | JCTC

First Time VA Applicant

How to Apply?

  • Through the Office of Veterans Affairs any eligible student can make an application for VA Educational benefits.
  • We provide assistance if you are making your initial claim or if you ve used the GI Bill® previously.

When Do I apply?

  • The Office of Veterans Affairs recommends that you apply for benefits 60 to 90 days prior to a semester starting; this gives the Department of Veterans Affairs plenty of time to process your claim in a timely manner.
  • The VA Regional office that processes for the State of Kentucky processes for a total of 16 states and at times the volume can be tremendous.
  • If you are relying on the Department of Veterans Affairs to assist you with tuition and fees the latest you should apply is 60 days prior to the semester starting.
  • Any student applying after the 60 day time frame should be prepared to pay their tuition and fees at the time of registration or make payment arrangement with the institutions Cashiers Office.

What Happens After I Apply?

  • Once you apply with the Office of Veterans Affairs, processing time is approximately 3 to 4 days if you ve applied for Admission to the institution, have an applicable Student Program Plan for the institution you ve applied to for admission.
  • Initial VA claims are submitted to the Department of Veterans Affairs by mail or electronically. The approximate processing time is about 4 to 6 weeks.
  • Once VA processes your claim they will provide you with an Award letter outlining your monthly allowance and various policies and procedures you need to comply with to receive VA Educational benefits.
  • If you ve previously used your VA benefits claim, this claim will be processed electronically and the approximate processing time with VA is about 15 to 20 working days.
  • Once your VA Certification is submitted to the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA).
  • The DVA will generate to the student an email acknowledging enrollment to the email address you submitted to the campus VA Office.
  • Once the claim is actually processed the student will receive by mail from the DVA an Award Letter; listing monthly amounts, term dates, VA Chapter specific instructions and general information.

Can I get a VA Pamphlet for my particular GI Bill®?

VONAPP online application for all VA Education Benefit Chapters (New/Transferring.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.