How to Apply?
- Through the Office of Veterans Affairs any eligible student can make an application
for VA Educational benefits.
- We provide assistance if you are making your initial claim or if you ve used the GI
When Do I apply?
- The Office of Veterans Affairs recommends that you apply for benefits 60 to 90 days
prior to a semester starting; this gives the Department of Veterans Affairs plenty
of time to process your claim in a timely manner.
- The VA Regional office that processes for the State of Kentucky processes for a total
of 16 states and at times the volume can be tremendous.
- If you are relying on the Department of Veterans Affairs to assist you with tuition
and fees the latest you should apply is 60 days prior to the semester starting.
- Any student applying after the 60 day time frame should be prepared to pay their tuition
and fees at the time of registration or make payment arrangement with the institutions
What Happens After I Apply?
- Once you apply with the Office of Veterans Affairs, processing time is approximately
3 to 4 days if you ve applied for Admission to the institution, have an applicable
Student Program Plan for the institution you ve applied to for admission.
- Initial VA claims are submitted to the Department of Veterans Affairs by mail or electronically
at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/apply.asp the approximate processing time is about 4 to 6 weeks.
- Once VA processes your claim they will provide you with an Award letter outlining
your monthly allowance and various policies and procedures you need to comply with
to receive VA Educational benefits.
- If you ve previously used your VA benefits claim, this claim will be processed electronically
and the approximate processing time with VA is about 15 to 20 working days.
- Once your VA Certification is submitted to the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA).
- The DVA will generate to the student an email acknowledging enrollment to the email
address you submitted to the campus VA Office.
- Once the claim is actually processed the student will receive by mail from the DVA
an Award Letter; listing monthly amounts, term dates, VA Chapter specific instructions
and general information.
Can I get a VA Pamphlet for my particular GI Bill?
VONAPP online application
for all VA Education Benefit Chapters (New/Transferring.