02-F1-Admission-Process | JCTC

F-1 Admissions Process

  1. Complete a JCTC application for admission. The application should be completed online (for free).
  2. Submit proof of completing secondary education.
    • You can provide a photocopy of a secondary school (high school) transcript for I-20 purposes.
    • If you have also attended a postsecondary school inside U.S. (college, university, or vocational school), then you will also be required to submit those official documents.
    • Students who attended college or university outside of the U.S. must submit an official course-by course, line by line evaluation of their transcripts through NACES.
  3. Submit proof of English proficiency.
    • If English is not your primary language spoken in your home and during all years of your education, submit proof of English proficiency.
    • JCTC can not give the I-20 Form to students who do not have an English proficiency document.
    • Proof of your English skills may be any of the following:
      • TOEFL: The minimum score for admission is 61 on the iBT or 500 on the PBT. Test scores must be sent directly to Jefferson Community and Technical College by the testing service. Jefferson's school code for the TOEFL is 1328.
      • IELTS: A minimum score of 6.0.
      • Duolingo English Test (DET): A minimum score of 95.
      • Pearson Test of English (PTE): A minimum score of 50.
      • ESL Michigan Test: This option is only available in Louisville; the test is available on campus. A minimum score 50.
      • Language Training Programs: Completion of the advanced level of an Intensive English Program at U.S. institution inside the country. College English 101 and 102: Completion of College English 101 and 102, or its equivalent, with a minimum grade of B.
  4. Submit proof of $18,344 USD of financial support.
  5. Complete the Application for Form I-20.
  6. Submit a copy of the biographical page of your passport (picture page).
  7. Transfer students already in the U.S. must also: Complete the F-1 Student Transfer Report Form and provide copies of your current Form I-20, I-94 card and visa.