Federal Work Study Award (FWS) FAQs


A work study position is essentially a part-time job. It is an opportunity for you to earn extra money while gaining valuable work experience in a field or department that interests you or aligns with your academic goals. The supervisor hiring you will consider your class schedule and other personal obligations when assigning work hours. As soon as you are awarded your financial aid, you should come to the Financial Aid Office and inquire about open positions and your eligibility.

Federal Work Study is not automatically awarded to you. You will need to come to the Financial Aid Office or contact the FWS coordinator to be awarded.

Eligibility Requirements: You must be awarded a Federal Pell grant; You must be enrolled at least half-timefor each semester you are awarded (6 credit hours); You must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0; Hopefully, you will be able to secure a job related to your vocational goals, previous work experience, or special skills; Students are encouraged to consider community service jobs; On-campus community service opportunities are available at the campus Libraries and tutoring centers

The total amount you earn is determined by your financial aid award. Once you begin working, the monthly wages are paid in two weeks intervals, usually on the 15th and the 30th of each month. You may participate in FWS as long as you maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress and meet all other financial aid eligibility requirements.

Interested? Please contact the Financial Aid Office. Please include your student ID number with any inquiry

No. While both offer an avenue for a student to have a part time job on campus, they are completely separate programs.

Federal Work Study is based on financial aid awarded through the Federal Government.

Ready to Work (RTW) is a partnership with the Kentucky Cabinet for Families and Children to better serve Kentucky Transitional Assistance Program (KTAP) clients in the Community and Technical Colleges.

It has different eligibility requirements and processes and is a program for students who are receiving aid from the Kentucky Transitional Assistance Program (KTAP).

For other RTW eligibility requirements, please contact the Ready to Work Office.

The hourly rate is $9.00 but the total amount you can earn and the number of hours you can work are dependent on your financial aid award.

The maximum a student can work under Federal Work Study is 20 hours a week for the semester of current enrollment.

Federal Work Study is available to all students who meet the eligibility requirements. There are limited slots, however, so no one can be guaranteed a position. It is awarded on a first come, first served basis so we recommend applying for financial aid early and inquiring about a position as soon as possible after you are awarded.