Transfer-to | JCTC

Transfer To Jefferson FAQs

Students, who have previously attended college or university outside of KCTCS, must apply to Jefferson and submit official transcripts from all college/universities to the Admissions Office.

Applications to Jefferson Community and Technical College are available online.

If you attended a Regionally Accredited college or university, your 100 & 200 level courses will transfer to Jefferson as long as you earned a passing grade of D- or better. If you need coursework higher than the 200-level for graduation purposes you may discuss substitutions with your advisor or program coordinator prior to graduation. Courses from non-accredited colleges or universities will not transfer.

If you have credit earned through CLEP or Military Service you will need to submit official documentation for evaluation to Jefferson's Admissions Office.
To view a listing of courses and how they transfer, view the transfer equivalency database.

Once you have submitted all official, postsecondary transcripts, and your Admission to Jefferson Community and Technical College is complete, a member of the Records Office staff will complete your transcript evaluation within two weeks. Once the evaluation is finalized and posted to your student account, you will receive an email notification.

In order to be classified as fully accredited, a college or university must be a member of a recognized regionally accrediting association, such as the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Credit earned from a Non-Accredited institution is not recognized in the Council on Postsecondary Education's general education transfer policy and will not transfer to Jefferson.

Regionally accrediting agency names differ depending on the institutions location. To view the accreditation status of your previous institution(s), you can search the US Department of Education’s Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs

Here are some of the associations that Jefferson accepts coursework from currently:

  • Higher Learning Commission (formerly North Central Association of Colleges and Schools)
  • Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges
  • Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges

Coursework from a non-accredited college can be accepted through a validation process. Students who have completed 12 hours of non-developmental coursework at JCTC with at least a 2.00 GPA must provide the following to

  • Full course description
  • Syllabus for the class being contested
  • Proof of the credential level of the instructor for the course

Your previous grade-point average (GPA) will not transfer, but the grades you earned will be notated on your Jefferson record. The amount of credits you earned will calculate into your Jefferson cumulative earned hours.

An official line-by-line (or course-by-course) evaluation of international coursework must be completed by a recognized international evaluation agency before Jefferson will consider these credentials for transfer credit. Jefferson suggests using World Education Services (WES) or Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE).

A complete list of accepted agencies and their contact information can be found on the website of the National Association of Credential Evaluating Services.

The student is responsible for arranging for credential evaluation by an accepted agency and is expected to pay all costs of translation and/or evaluation of these credentials.

After the review has been completed, the student should request that a copy of their evaluation be forwarded to the Jefferson Admissions Office. The Records Office will then determine specific course equivalencies if applicable. Courses that need further evaluation will be sent to the student’s academic area for consideration.

Degree credit work taken at a fully accredited college or university is recognized credit hour for credit hour. Quarter hours are recognized as two-thirds (2/3) of a semester hour.

For example: 4 quarter hours equals 3 semester hours, and 3 quarter hours equals 2 semester hours.

Transfer evaluations are only completed for degree-seeking students. Once transcripts have been received and Admission at Jefferson Community and Technical College is complete, your evaluation will be completed and posted to your academic records within two weeks. If you are in need of an evaluation for registration purposes an advisor or program coordinator can provide an unofficial evaluation.

Some courses taken at other colleges or universities may not be equivalent to courses offered to satisfy major requirements at Jefferson. If you think that a transferred course is compatible with requirements for your major, you may petition to have transferred coursework apply toward your degree. In such cases, you will need to supply a course description and possibly a copy of the syllabus for that class to the Records Office.

The student is expected to contact their own institution for the documents needed for appeal. Once documentation has been received the Records Office, in conjunction, with faculty in the petitioned course division will discuss equivalency options and make a final decision.

You will be notified of the appeal decision through your KCTCS student email.

  1. Login to PeopleSoft
  2. Enter your User ID and password
  3. Select “Student Center” tile
  4. Go to Academics Section and select “Transfer Credit: Report” from the drop-down box
Credits earned through other education programs, such as credit-by-examination, you may submitted to the Records Office. Only KCTCS approved exams can transfer. A listing of approved exams can be found in the KCTCS course catalog.
Official Joint Service Transcripts (JST) must be submitted to Jefferson Community and Technical College. You can request a copy of your transcript be sent to Jefferson from the Joint Services Transcript System. Contact the Veteran Affairs Coordinator/Certifying Official if you need information on how to request your JST or to coordinate the review/evaluation of your military service credit.

In order for your admission packet to be complete and before any of your transfer coursework will be evaluated, Jefferson's Admissions Office must receive an official transcript from each institution you have attended. The official transcript must list final grades and have a print date of less than six months old. Official transcripts may be sent directly to Jefferson from your previous school, or you may submit transcripts yourself in the original sealed envelope provided by your previous college or university.

The college reserves the right to request an official transcript be sent directly by previous institutions.

If you are hand delivering a student issued official transcript, the transcript must be delivered in a sealed envelope from the sending school.

Military transcripts must be sent directly to Jefferson from the military.
To ensure you are not blocked from any courses that require prerequisites, you must submit transcripts prior to enrolling. All transcripts received become the permanent property of the college.

Please mail transcripts to:

Jefferson Community & Technical College
109 E. Broadway
Louisville, KY 40202

If you would like to see if you can receive credit for prior learning experiences (i.e. industry certifications, apprenticeship programs, life/work experiential credit, etc.), information can be found on our KCTCS Credit for Prior Learning website. Contact Cassie Poole at or the Program Coordinator within your intended academic area to receive credit for prior learning experiences.

Please contact the Jefferson records office by email at