Treatment of Return Title IV Funds When a Student Withdraws
When a recipient of Title IV grant or loan assistance withdraws from an institution
during the semester in which the recipient began attendance, the institution must
determine the amount of the Title IV grant or loan assistance (not including Federal
Work Study) that the student earned as of the student's withdrawal date. Unearned
Title IV funds must be returned to the Title IV program.
The Return of Title IV Funds/Institutional Refund Policy
This policy applies to students who withdraw or are expelled or leave without notice,
and refunds for these students are determined according to the following policy:
- The term "Title IV Funds" refers to the Federal Financial Aid Programs authorized
under the Higher Education Act of 1965 (as amended) and includes the following programs:
Direct Subsidized Loans, Direct Unsubsidized Loans, Direct PLUS Loans, Federal Pell
Grants and Federal SEOG.
- A student's withdrawal date is:
- The date the student began the institution's withdrawal process or officially notified
the institution of intent to withdraw; or
- The midpoint of the period for a student who leaves without notifying the institution;
- The student's last date of attendance at a documented academically related activity.
- Title IV aid is earned in a prorated manner on a per diem basis up to the 60% point
in the semester. Title IV aid is viewed as 100% earned after that point in time. A
copy of the worksheet used for this calculation can be requested from the Student
Financial Aid Office.
In accordance with federal regulations, when financial aid is involved, refunds are
allocated in the following manner:
- Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan
- Direct Subsidized Stafford Loan
- Direct Plus Loan
- Federal Pell grant
- Federal FSEOG
- Other Title IV Assistance
- Other Federal Sources of Aid
- Other State, Private and Institutional Aid
Institutional and student responsibilities in regards to the return of Title IV funds
Jefferson’s responsibility in regards to the Return of Title IV funds include:
- Providing students with information given in this policy;
- Identifying students who are affected by this policy and completing the Return of
Title IV Funds calculation for those students;
- Returning any Title IV funds that are due the Title IV programs.
The student's responsibilities in regards to the Return of Title IV Funds include:
which the student was deemed ineligible for via the Return of Title IV funds calculation.
The fees, procedures and policies listed above supersede those published previously
and are subject to change at any time.
For assistance, please call 855.246.5282 (855.2GO.JCTC) or visit our Student Service Center online.