Types | JCTC

Types of Aid

Types of Awards offered:

State and federal governments provide a number of options:

  • Grants, scholarships, and waivers that do not have to be repaid.
  • Loans, which must be repaid with interest.
  • The federal work-study program, which provides part-time employment that can also help you pay for college.

What kinds of grants are available?

How do student loans work?

The Federal Direct Loan Program lends money to undergraduate, graduate, and professional students attending on at least a part-time basis.

Two types of loans are available:

  • Federal Direct Subsidized Loan, which is based on financial need. The government will pay a portion of the interest you accumulate on this loan, and you repay the balance.
  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, which does not require students to demonstrate financial need. Students must repay this loan in its entirety, including interest.

How do I apply for grants, loans and work?

  • Apply for a FSA ID. Use your FSA ID to access your personal records and electronically sign federal student aid documents.
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). File online or get a paper version from our Office of Financial Aid or your high school counselor. Watch your e-mail/mail for your financial award notification.
  • Contact us, if you need more help.


For assistance, please call (855)246-5282 (855-2GO-JCTC) or visit our Student Service Center online.